Monday, February 14, 2011

Kohlrabi by Committee


We got a couple, um, large kohlrabi in our share on Friday. As Red Fire Farm gently puts it, "If you did the Deep Winter share last year, you are familiar with these head-sized wonders. Don't feel you have to use it all at once."

Often we spend a lot of time researching recipes and cooking techniques for new-to-us vegetables.

This was not one of these times.

Sara was eager to eat one right away and, with no particular plan, went at the organic green Sputnik with knife and vegetable peeler. "It's really hard," she said. "Can I slice it on the mandoline?" (The mandoline is fun.)

Jack tried to talk her out of it. The mandoline is a drag for things that are really hard. "Maybe use a knife?"

"How about I grate it?" She grated it. The whole kohlrabi. "Now what do I do with it?"

"It looks like a salad," I guessed. "Add grated carrots, too?" We added grated carrots.

Liz, who had been busy cooking eggplant up to this point, said, "It looks like Thai papaya salad. How about a Thai dressing?"

I've never had a Thai papaya salad in my life. "I can make the dressing," I lied. "What's in it?" Honey, soy sauce, olive oil, and lime juice, we decided. (We used our Warm Colors Apiary honey from the CSA.)

With the addition of lots of cilantro and chopped peanuts, it looked something like a real recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment