Friday, February 25, 2011

Food Photography and Red Fire Food

We got our Red Fire Farm Deep Winter box today, with tasty surprises as usual (pictured here: braising mix, dried cayenne peppers, carrots, onions, and Real Pickles).

Yes, I did tell Jack not to unpack the box until I got home so I could take pictures.

He was patient about that, and patiently made dinner while I poured popcorn into teacups and attempted to backlight gilfeather turnips, and then patiently wondered why I've never borrowed my housemate Erica's much nicer digital SLR for blog photos. (The photos on this blog are shot, with rare exception, on my purchased-used Canon PowerShot A540, which CNET reviewed highly when it came out ... in 2006.)

The honest answer to that is ... I'm intimidated by it. The defensive one is that I've been meaning to write something about how you can take perfectly fine photos without a digital SLR, but a guest post on Boston Food Bloggers got there first and did it better than I would have: Why you don't need a digital SLR to take good pictures. It covers everything I know (more light, use macro mode, don't use flash) and then some.

Foodzie agrees that you can do food photography with a $150 point and shoot (my camera now sells for $25-50 on eBay), and links to a number of online resources. (I love the detailed Vegan Yum Yum guide, which quickly does get into digital SLR territory.)

Further to continuing education, I also like to look at the food photography posts on the blog of Michael Ruhlman (of Ratio fame), and I follow Still Life With on Twitter. Know any other good food photo resources?

I don't have ambitions of being a great food photographer -- though I may follow up on the suggestion to borrow my housemate's digital SLR -- but I'd like my photos to represent how good I know the food is.

As a baby step in that direction, I'd like to submit some photos to Foodgawker (guidelines) or Tastespotting (guidelines) this year. Anyone tried it? I found these tips.

More Red Fire Deep winter loot, including beets, turnips, and popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment