You might remember our feisty mushroom growing kit from last winter. By tossing the mycelium block into a plastic storage bin and feeding it new coffee grounds (thanks, Johnny D's!), we managed to grow a couple more mushroom crops over the spring and summer.
When we moved, the block was pretty spent, so I stuck it in a cabinet and forgot about it. (It's the "Teresa's creepy science projects" cabinet: mushrooms on top and worms on the bottom.)
Fast forward four or five weeks, and we noticed that the cabinet was slightly ajar.
Here's what it looked like inside. Yum! Jack fried them up for dinner.
P.S. There is a lid on the plastic container. The mushrooms figured out how to get out through where it hinges.