Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Sweet Potato Samosas

With the extra wrappers from Chinese New Year dim sum and a lazy long weekend before us, we improvised samosas for Sunday dinner. They were meant to be appetizers, but we enjoyed them so much that we didn't quite get around to the leftover-eating that was supposed to be dinner.

Sweet Potato Samosas

Boil peeled sweet potato chunks until very soft.

Meanwhile, cook some finely sliced onion, garlic, and ginger in oil. When the onion is soft, add garam masala (or other Indian spices) to taste, and fry until fragrant.

Add the drained cooked sweet potato chunks to the pan, and stir together until the potato is roughly mashed. Stir in defrosted frozen peas. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Place a small spoonful of samosa filling in the center of a square wonton wrapper. Wet the edges with lightly beaten egg, fold into a triangle, and press the edges to seal.

Deep-fry until delicious-looking. (I would have tried pan-frying or baking these if I were making them myself -- I only deep-fry when I can talk someone else into doing it for me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment